Sports Nut by Day, Zombie Slayer by Night: Meet Alicia!
Follow the yellow brick road to meet the wizards behind the curtain at Accelity! We might not practice magic, but we can make content appear in the blink of an eye. In this blog series, we will feature one of our talented team members so you can see what we are all about. This month's star is Alicia Torres!
1. What is the coolest thing about working at Accelity?
There are so many great things about working at Accelity, but I’ll narrow it down to three:
- My amazing coworkers and all of our team events and bonding opportunities. There’s a real sense of family within Accelity that doesn’t happen overnight.
- The ability to drive results for our clients. I love the impact we each have on our clients’ success and it’s so cool to watch them grow.
- My impact on the business. Accelity’s transparent culture really allows every employee to have a voice, and because we are small, smart new ideas can be approved and implemented swiftly (as opposed to a corporate culture where those ideas may never make it to management).
2. A zombie outbreak just happened in Milwaukee, what is your plan to survive?
- Immediately find a way to meet up with my husband. Ideally, I’d find as many loved ones as possible, but he’s my priority.
- Find a safe place to hide in the short-term but be ready to move at any moment.
- Start stockpiling any weapons and food we can find.
- Practice using those weapons to take down the zombies until I am lethal.
- While in a safe hiding place, conduct daily rigorous physical training to gain the strength and endurance I’d need to survive in this new world.
- Stay hidden away from the initial madness in a small group, then strategically seek out other level-headed, capable survivors, along with a longer-term shelter like a hospital, prison complex or gated community.
3. What 3 words describe Accelity to you?
Driven: As an agency, we are always driven to discover the latest marketing tactics, optimize our strategies and processes, and provide the best work for our clients.
Family: We have an awesome culture and I love the camaraderie among my coworkers.
Jackie: I can’t think about the agency without thinking of the legend herself. We’ve worked together in various capacities for about 10 years and I love working so closely with her today.
4. What is your favorite movie quote?
I am a huge sports fan (love my Wisconsin teams: Brewers, Bucks and Packers!) so I’d have to go with…
“There's no crying in baseball!” from A League of Their Own
5. If you were to write a book about your life, what would the title be?
(Im)patiently waiting. Life happens at its own pace for us all and I’m not always the most patient person, ha. A major area of “waiting” for me has been my health. I’ve had chronic back pain and other issues since high school, and it began to substantially limit my activities and ability to work in my late 20s. I waited a long time to find an explanation or some relief. The cause of my pain was finally diagnosed and I had (successful!) surgery last year at the age of 30… and it has turned my life around.
6. How has Accelity helped your career development?
Working for Accelity I’ve had the opportunity to wear many hats, take on new professional challenges, move from a one-person team to head of a department, and more. I look forward to new growth opportunities that await me!
7. What’s your secret talent?
Being the best auntie in the whole world to my 4-year-old niece (and any other future nieces and nephews I will have). We have a very special relationship and I love playing with her, watching her learn and grow, and taking her to fun places like the zoo or the mall (where we ride the escalator up and down over and over).
Someday I’ll have kids and (hopefully) be an awesome mom, but until then, I adore my time with her (and then I get to give her back to my brother!).